North Baddesley Infant School

Happy, valued and growing together

SEN Provision At Our School

Our aim is to ensure all children are valued equally and have the right to learn, achieve and participate fully in education and in the wider community regardless of their needs, abilities and behaviour.

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs (SEN)?

  • • We work closely with our preschools, nurseries or previous schools to identify any special educational needs children may have prior to them joining us.
  • • Once children are in school, we continually monitor and assess the progress of all our children and the class teacher will recognise if a pupil has special educational needs or if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. This will be identified in consultation with the Special Educational Needs co-ordinator, (SENCO), who manages the SEN provision within the school.
  • • SEN identification and provision follows the Government document, the SEN Code of Practice which gives very clear and specific guidelines.
  • • We would urge parents with any concerns regarding their child’s progress, or those who believe their child may have an area of need, to talk to the class teacher, SENCo or Headteacher.

How will the school provide support and inform and involve parents?

The SENCo and Headteacher will work together to ensure regular and systematic effectiveness of the school’s work in respect of pupils with SEND( Special Educational Needs and Disabilities). They will evaluate the impact of interventions delivered.

We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCo and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home. Sometimes this will involve us contacting you by telephone or in person to arrange a meeting and welcome you in to school. The class teacher will meet with all parents/carers twice annually following a copy of the child’s individual pace and progress report. An additional meeting with the SENCo is offered at this time. Children recorded as having SEND will have their needs discussed as part of these meetings and an additional meeting will be held in the Summer term to discuss progress, targets and transition. Parents/carers are able to make additional appointments on request and a record of achievement will be sent at the end of the year.

How are the governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

One of the Governors is responsible for SEND and meets regularly with the SENCo. They also report to the Governors to keep all informed and undertake regular training. The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEND budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need in order to make progress.

The SENCo reports to the Governors every term to inform them about the progress of children with SEND; this report does not refer to individual children and confidentiality is maintained at all times. Governors monitor the progress of all groups of children and consider appropriate funding for all.

How is the decision made about the type of support and how much support my child will receive?

We are committed to early identification of special educational needs and adopt a graduated response to needs. Needs will be met by a range of flexible, responsive provision. The class teacher alongside the SENCo will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate. Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve expected levels appropriate to their age.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs and how will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom?

All children have access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum that is differentiated to meet individual learning styles and recognises personal strengths and needs.

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

If further support is required, the class teacher liaises with the SENCo for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support Team. The school also has two ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) who works under the direction of the SENCo, with children requiring additional emotional support.

Parents need to contact the school office and class teacher if medication is recommended by Health Professionals to be taken during the school day. As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual children so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.

How can I contact the SEN coordinator?

The SENCO, Mrs Katie James, can be contact via the school office on 023 8041 2412.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school including: - Behaviour support; Health professionals including – GPs, school nurse, clinical psychologist, paediatricians, speech & language therapists; occupational therapists; social services including - Locality Teams, social workers and Educational Psychologists.

Every Local Authority is required to publish information about services that are available in their area for children and young people with SEND and services outside of the area that children and young people from their area can also use. This is known as the ‘Local Offer’ and the Hampshire Local Authority ‘Local Offer’ can be found at the link below.

What training have the staff supporting SEND had or what training are they having?

Our SENCo is fully qualified and completing accreditation. We have two members of staff trained as ELSAs who receive regular support from the Educational Psychologist. Another member of staff has had training in delivering Speech & Language programmes from Speech & Language therapists. All of our Teaching Assistants have had training in delivering reading and spelling, phonics and maths programmes.

How accessible is the school?

The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing. The school is spread over two levels and on the ground level there are ramps at specified fire exits that meet requirements for visual impairment.

Designated disabled parking can be made available on request in the school car park


For more information please refer to the Single Equality Scheme policy on our website which contains our accessibility plan.

Who do I contact for further information?

First point of contact would be your child’s class teacher or Mrs James, our SENCo. Please do not hesitate to contact the school office to make an appointment, on 02380 412 412. You can contact the Local Authority SEN Department Tel 01962 869611.

You can also contact the Educational Psychology Service Tel 01962 869611.

Parents are able to make a complaint by contacting the SENCo in the first instance. If this fails to resolve the issues, a parent can submit a formal complaint to the Headteacher. Our complaints procedure is available from the school office and website. This sets out the steps for making a complaint in more detail.

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

We are a Rights Respecting school where we value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life through our pupil voice systems. This is usually carried out through the School Council and Together Everyone Decides (TED) teams which have an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.

All children review their progress on a regular basis as part of their lessons. Children on the SEND register will review their progress and set new targets on a termly basis with their class teacher or TA.

If your child has an IPA or an EHCP their views will be sought before any review meetings.

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?

Contact the school Admin office to arrange to meet the Head teacher Mrs Lashmar or our SENCo Mrs James, who would willingly discuss how the school could meet your child’s needs. Admission arrangements for North Baddesley Infant School are determined by the local authority current admissions policy.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting and be shown around the school. For children with SEND we would encourage further visits to assist with the acclimatisation of the new surroundings. We write social stories with children if transition is potentially going to be difficult. When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to Junior school, we arrange additional visits where a programme is specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils. We liaise closely with Staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.

This information report has been written as required by Section 65 (3)(a)of the SEN (info) Regulations and links to the Local Authority Local Offer, which is available at

Consultation with parents and children has taken place at county and school level. It has been approved by the governing body of our school.

Last updated: 15/01/17